Your goal is to use ways to reduce your chronic pain, then maintain those levels over time. This is no different than maintaining a healthy weight range or managing your sugar levels, if you are a diabetic.
The key is to know your triggers that can increase your pain so that you can self-monitor and prevent a relapse. Hopefully, the average number of relapses wll decrease over time.
How do you do this? Identify and commit to the following (as specified in my book):
1. Use ways to reduce your physical pain.
2. Use ways to reduce you anxiety, depression and anger, and use ways to improve your happiness.
3. Use ways to reduce or cope with life stressors.
4. Use ways to reduce your negative thinking.
5. Use ways to improve your fortitude.